[Samba] getting ERROR: failed to setup guest info. But I cannot setup a guest account due to security policies

Jon West westjon at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 07:41:30 MST 2013

I'm trying to set up samba so that we can login to our RHEL 5.5 machines
with our Windows 2008 R2 Active directory credentials. I am succesfully
able to join the domain, but I cannot get the SMBD deamon to stay running
and my log.smbd log is show  the

ERROR: failed to setup guest info.

error. Due to security policies I have erased the account nobody, and any other
account that has no actual user associated with it, so there is no guest type

account to set in the smb.conf

This is the smb.conf I currently have
[Global]
  netbios name = MYARCHLINUX
  workgroup = EXAMPLE
  realm = EXAMPLE.COM
  server string = %h ArchLinux Host
  security = ads
  encrypt passwords = yes
  password server = pdc.example.com

  idmap config * : backend = rid
  idmap config * : range = 10000-20000

  winbind use default domain = Yes
  winbind enum users = Yes
  winbind enum groups = Yes
  winbind nested groups = Yes
  winbind separator = +
  winbind refresh tickets = yes

  template shell = /bin/bash
  template homedir = /home/%D/%U

  preferred master = no
  dns proxy = no
  wins server = pdc.example.com
  wins proxy = no

  inherit acls = Yes
  map acl inherit = Yes
  acl group control = yes

  load printers = no
  debug level = 3
  use sendfile = no

I've removed actual domain names. I'm using Samba3x 3.6.6. Any help
would be greatly appreciated