[Samba] samba4 | access ldap, what password

mourik jan heupink heupink at merit.unu.edu
Mon Nov 11 03:30:12 MST 2013

Hi Rowland, list,

> HI, What are you actually trying to do? Samba 4 is not actually ldap, it
> is AD and as such, whilst you can use ldap tools it is often better to
> use the tools that samba supplies i.e. ldbsearch instead of ldapsearch.

Thanks!
What I'm trying to do, is basically to familiarize myself with
samba4/AD. Learn about the structures AD uses, and how they compare to
(for me well-known) openldap.

I don't intent to use straight ldap forever, but it's just the easiest
way to 'get in' for me, now. :-)

In samba3 we primarily used ldap-account-manager to manage our
directory, and we would like to keep doing that. (it has samba4
compatibility)

Thanks for the replies!

MJ