[Samba] What's a sensible log level?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 16:59:01 MST 2013

trentbuck at gmail.com (Trent W. Buck) writes:

>> I had a samba 4.0.9 AD DC (no other DCs), and I'm trying to join Windows
>> hosts to it.  Most either automatically migrated, or worked fine when I
>> changed them to "workgroup" and back again, as Administrator.
>>
>> Three of them aren't, the client side says
>>
>>     The following error occurred attempting to join the domain
>>     "pi.planetinnovation.com.au":
>>
>>     Logon failure: unknown user name of bad password.
>
> FTR, this was fixed by joining as "Administrator@<REALM>" instead of
> "Administrator" or "<REALM>\Administrator".  I don't understand why.
> (I especially don't understand why only *some* hosts needed that.)

UPDATE: that wasn't the fix -- it let me join to the domain, but didn't
let me log in -- and the default domain on the login screen defaulted to
the NT workgroup, not the AD realm.

The *actual* fix was to go back to the wiki.samba.org article's first
step, and realize the time was out by ten bloody minutes on the
misbehaving desktops.  Fixed that, and it all Just Worked.  Also they
were trying to NTP from something like time.microsoft.com and clicking
"update now" indicated it wasn't working.

Today I noticed my DHCP server was advertising an NTP server that wasn't
allowing NTP queries (oops), so it was definitely All My Fault.