[Samba] User home directory UID:GID incorrect on VM Samba 4 AD client

Paul R. Ganci ganci at nurdog.com
Mon Nov 4 22:18:47 MST 2013

On 11/04/2013 09:21 PM, Rob Townley wrote:

> i am fairly certain DES encryption was removed in Win2003r2, so what
> is your domain's functional level - win2000?

This isn't a domain that has been around. It was freshly created using
samba-tool. Whatever sernet-samba-ad-4.0.5 defaulted to when the domain
was provisioned back on Aug. 4, 2012:

 > samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
--realm=myhome.nurdog.com

All the clients and AD were created with samba 4.0.5 installed and have
currently updated to 4.0.10-7. That DES encryption is there is just how
things defaulted.

Basically all the other utility software run on a CentOS 6.4 system is
outdated:

sssd-client-1.9.2-82.10
sssd-1.9.2-82.10
cifs-utils-4.8.1-18
keyutils-1.4-4
keyutils-libs-1.4-4

  I did want to get sssd working but while I can authenticate the
version of sssd does not seem to want to pull out the gid, uid, home
directory ... etc. If I use winbind I can authenticate and .pull out the
gid and uid but not the loginShell or unixHomeDirectory correctly. Using
the smb.conf directives:

template homedir = /home/%U
template shell = /bin/bash

fills in the gap. I have successfully compiled pieces but they do not
seem to want to play nice with CentOS 6.4 sernet-samba. I would need to
compile it too I suspect but pretty much have what I want given that a
nfs mount works so have given up on trying to get sssd and cifs mount to
work,.

--
Paul (ganci at nurdog.com)