[Samba] Hello Mailing List, I really need some help/advice.

Gary Maurizi garymaurizi at gmail.com
Fri May 31 23:09:24 MDT 2013

Please bear with me as this is my first time actually using a mailing list.

I've set up a CentOS 6.4 machine as a samba4 Primary Domain Controller, and
successfully joined a windows 8 client machine to the domain.

My question is as follows: when I add the computer "BED-DESK-01" to the
domain "MYDOMAIN.LOCAL" shouldn't an A record be created for
"BED-DESK-01.MYDOMAIN.LOCAL" so that while logged
into SERVER.MYDOMAIN.LOCAL I can "ping bed-desk-01.mtolympus.local" etc?

This seems to be the only part of AD that is not functioning for me at this
point.

I have also noticed some strange behavior when I browse to
\\MYDOMAIN.LOCAL\ on the client and try to access a share called "profiles"
that I created in /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf I get the error: "Element
not found.", contrariwise, if I type in \\SERVER.MYDOMAIN.LOCAL or
\\10.0.0.1\ and click on profiles I can get into the share, browse, and
create/modify files just fine?

Further when opening network neighborhood, \\MYDOMAIN.LOCAL is not what is
loaded by default.

I am hoping that this is all indicative of one or two administration
mistakes that I can fix with some assistance.

Thank you so very much for your assistance,

--GM.