[Samba] Samba 4 and Profile directory issues.

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at gmail.com
Thu May 30 12:39:13 MDT 2013

Yes, with all versions of windows after XP the .V2 will be appended to the
usernames, if you have a mix of pre-XP and post-XP machines you will end up
with 2 profiles per user.

Glad its working for you,
Ricky

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM, "David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]" <
info at dghvoip.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> On 5/30/2013 8:17 AM, Ricky Nance wrote:
>
> Are you logged in as DOMAIN\Administrator to the windows machine?
>
> My own dumb mistakes, I created a remote desktop connection to that server
> and hadn't noticed I as logged in as a non admin user.
>
> Now home directories are created as it should and profile directories are
> too, but with the .V2 extension. I stheis the expected behavior?, I read
> that this might happoen uf I had mixed Windows clients WXP, Win7 but I just
> have one client and it's a Win7 one.
>

> Thanks for your advise it really helped. me.
>

>  Ricky
>

> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM, "David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]" <
> info at dghvoip.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 5/28/2013 6:59 PM, Ricky Nance wrote:
>>
>> Odd thing, your mail was from several days ago, but it just came through
>> on my stuff today. Lets try a couple of things, try changing [users] to
>> [homes] and also adding a line under global:
>>
>>  Done
>>

>>  template homedir = /home/%ACCOUNTNAME%
>>
>> Done
>>

>>  Also, comment out the directory_mode line, restart samba and then try
>> setting it in in your active directory users and computers as
>> \\10.10.10.5\homes\%USERNAME% and see if it works. Also can you double
>> check after these changes that your windows user can still write to
>> \\10.10.10.5\homes as well?
>>
>>  Done too but now, when I select a group of users and try to change their
>> properties the Home and Profile fields to \\10.10.10.5\homes\%USERNAME% it
>> returns Access is Denied (I haven't created any home directory) it usually
>> created the directories automatically after the PAM changes and all of your
>> suggestions it can't be done anymore, I-m sure it's due to some permission
>> thing but I just can't fiure it out myself.
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

>>  Thanks,
>> Ricky
>>

>> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM, "David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]" <
>> info at dghvoip.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi Ricky,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your reply, I dropped my subscription to the
>>> list because no one seems to care about these questions in there, then I
>>> guess what's that list for if they won't answer or at least point people to
>>> a link that won't take 30secs, well anyways....
>>>

>>> On 5/28/2013 4:44 PM, Ricky Nance wrote:
>>>
>>> First think you should check is to see if winbind is setup properly
>>> (resolving names in Ubuntu as it should be) if not, have a look at
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Winbind#Using_libnss_winbind (section
>>> 2 is the important one, section 3 is if you need *nix to authenticate using