[Samba] Sysvol replication

Jim Potter jimpotter at orange.net
Wed May 29 15:24:20 MDT 2013

Hi Robert,

The sysvol share (or possibly AD userand and computers) is really
pedantic about attributes. I've got it all working so that it looks fine
(replication works by whatever means) but ADUC kicks up errors. For
rsync I get permission errors (different uidnumbers for specific users
and groups on different servers), but with gluster is says it can't set
the permissions and dies. I haven't tried DRBD...

What you are proposing looks more like 1 active DC with a failover
solution rather than having multiple DCs running simultaneously, right?
I hadn't really looked at that... I was just following the MS approach
of 'you need multiple DCs if you are doing anything serious' model. That
would be wortha look in some scenarios, but where I am I've got ~850
workstations in a school (so all log in within 5 minutes of each other
at the start of each lesson) so the ability to add DCs until they can
handle the load is pretty essential.

cheers

Jim