[Samba] smb.conf sync

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 29 06:21:00 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 14:14 +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi Andrew
>
> On 29 May 2013 03:19, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 12:45 +0200, Sandbox wrote:
> >> I solved the shared data problem with heartbeat+drbd combo so that should
> >> not be a problem. TDB files data should be syncronized between my domain
> >> members or am I wrong?
> >
> > Please synchronise TDB files except by using using real CTDB (which
> > doesn't provide an AD DC).  I spent much of a week trying to reconstruct
> > a database lost this way.
>
> I assume you mean "Please DO NOT synchronise TDB file except by using
> real CTDB."

Indeed.  The only other way to safely access a tdb from 'under' a
running process is via tdbbackup.  I know that the tdb should eventually
end up the same if every change is replicated, and it was probably the
lack of barriers in the FS that caused the pain I saw, but direct block
replication doesn't do any checks, while tdbbackup and (better) DRS
replication will fail and show errors if the DB is corrupt, rather than
forward the corruption on to the 'backup'.

Andrew Bartlett