[Samba] New Samba Error We Have Not Seen Before

Robinson, Eric eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Mon May 27 17:37:07 MDT 2013

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marc Muehlfeld [mailto:samba at marc-muehlfeld.de] 
> Sent: Monday, May 27, 2013 2:46 PM
> To: Robinson, Eric
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] New Samba Error We Have Not Seen Before
> Hello Eric,
> Am 27.05.2013 20:32, schrieb Robinson, Eric:
> > We have about 40 samba servers in our domain. The two 
> newest ones are throwing an error we've never seen before.
> >
> > [root at vmhost06a samba]# net join
> > Enter root's password:
> > dos charset 'CP850' unavailable - using ASCII
> > convert_string_talloc: Conversion not supported.
> > Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain 
> > 'MYCHARTS.MD' over rpc: Memory allocation error ADS join 
> did not work, falling back to RPC...
> > convert_string_talloc: Conversion not supported.
> > Connection failed: NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY Enter root's password:
> > convert_string_talloc: Conversion not supported.
> > Could not connect to server RPT01
> > Connection failed: NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY Any thoughts?
> There's an open bug report with the same error:
> https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9080

I noticed that. It's about the only thing that turns up on Google.

> Is it AD or a NT4 style environment?
> Can you join with (if it's AD):
> # net ads join -U administrator

net ads join does the same thing. I'm embarrased to say that I'm not 100% sure how to answer you question about NT4 vs ADS. I assume it is ADS as there are only Win 2K3 and above servers in the domain. 

> > Possibly related: It alwways says "could not connect to server
>  > RPT01." I'm not sure why it says this since RPT01 is our 
> oldest  > domain controller and it is not referenced in any 
> of the config  > files. Only servers DC01 and TS04 are 
> mentioned in krb5.conf.
>  > I suppose it must be getting it from DNS, but why only RPT01?
> I guess DNS, too. Does RPT01 have any special role?

No, it's just a DC.

> Do you have 'dns_lookup_kdc = true'? Then the lookup for the 
> KDC is done via DNS (I don't know if the hardcoded entries 
> are then ignored). It's just a guess.

I removed the hardcoded entries and went with the bare bones example that was provided earlier in this thread. Things are working better, but still getting a lot of hanging and timeouts. I'm pretty sure it is DNS related, but I have not tracked it down yet.



Disclaimer - May 27, 2013 
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for 'Marc Muehlfeld',samba at lists.samba.org. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments. 
This disclaimer was added by Policy Patrol: http://www.policypatrol.com/

More information about the samba mailing list