[Samba] User policy in samba

Pekka L.J. Jalkanen pekka.jalkanen at vihreat.fi
Sun May 26 03:03:26 MDT 2013

On 22.5.2013 19:44, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 22.05.2013 16:24, schrieb Gregory Sloop:
>>> Is it possible to set User specific password policies in Samba4.
>>> Say I wan to set the Password length of a particular user to be "7"
>>> where
>>> as my domain policy is "10"
>>
>>> How to do this in samba4?
>>
>> The only way I can think of that would apply some policies to some
>> users and a different policy to others would be a GPO. But I'm not
>> entirely sure if password complexity reqs. can be applied selectively
>> via GPO. [I think so, but I've never tried it - and the docs sure
>> look like it's possible.]
>
> GPO won't work for that:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/FAQ#Is_it_possible_to_set_user_specific_password_policies_in_Samba4_.28e._g._on_a_OU-base.29.3F

Note that Samba should still serve those GPO objects to clients that
process them. Unmodified Windows clients should thus still obey those
policies, but Samba as a server just doesn't enforce them, which also
means that non-Windows clients will ignore them. At least that's how I'm
understanding it.

Pekka L.J. Jalkanen