[Samba] Looking for compiled version 1.9 of Samba

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat May 25 09:24:47 MDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Paul Davis <pdavis at connx.com> wrote:
> I am trying to assist a client who need a compiled version of Samba 1.9 for his SCO ODT 3.2 v4.2 environment. We are trying to connect an old version of DataFlex on SCO and need the bridge.
>
> Anybody have an old compiled version?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul Davis
> Sr. Business Development Manager
> CONNX Solutions - www.connx.com<http://www.connx.com/>
> Direct -    (425) 519-6670
> Mobile -    (425) 269-3956

*Wince*. I spent a year doing SCO OpenServer migrations to RHEL. But
ODT 3.2? That's a 19 year  old OS, from a company that's been bankrupt
for the last 10. I don't know if you can virtualize that on VMWare,
but if you do have to, look at my notes at
http://aplawrence.com/SCO_OSR5/smithosr5vmware.html. The key is to use
virtualized IDE drives and old, old network devices.

Unless you find someone who *bothered* to buy a compiler from SCO and
assemble the necessary toolchain to build Samba, and kept a copy for
20 years, I think you're unlikely to find anything. And building such
an old version sounds...... pretty painful.

Can you NFS share the content and put a Samba server on *top* of an
NFS mount from a modern Linux box? It might be much, much faster and
more stable.