[Samba] Windows 7 + Samba 3.5.6 = abject misery...

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Sun May 19 19:28:37 MDT 2013

Chris Rowson wrote:
> On 19 May 2013 23:13, "Steve Holdoway" <steve at greengecko.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help with this? I set it all up a few months ago, the samba
>> side being standard upgrades via debian - configured as a PDC, and the
>> windows 7 clients being clean installs, with the standard
>> lanmanworkstation regedits done.
>>
>> They've been working fine since then, but have now started failing,
>> instead raising the error message
>>
>>  'The trust relationship between this work station and the primary
>> domain has failed'

I had this problem alot until I told my windows computer  to disable
machine account
password changes.   I think it changes them about every 30 days or maybe
less -- but
it would change it's password and the server wouldn't be informed, so
the shared-secret
between the two of them was no longer decipherable.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like the BEST way, or the most SECURE way
to fix
the problem, BUT, given my windows machine is on a closed internal net,
practicality trumps imaginary security problems....