[Samba] Samba 3.x server with LDAP backend doesn't work

Gollapalli, Prakash pgoll at med.umich.edu
Thu May 16 09:27:54 MDT 2013

We have a central LDAP server for our enterprise on a Linux box.  I have installed Samba 3.4.4 server on an AIX server and trying to get users authenticated via LDAP server.   So far my efforts have been unsuccessful.  Here is my ldap section of the smb.conf file:

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://<company_ldap_server>/
ldap ssl = start tls
ldap suffix = dc=xxx,dc=yyy,dc=zzz
ldap delete dn = no
ldap user suffix = ou=People
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups

Here is the error I am seeing in the Samba errorlog:

[2013/05/16 11:08:14,  0] lib/smbldap.c:656(smb_ldap_start_tls)
  Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction: Can't contact LDAP server
[2013/05/16 11:08:14,  1] lib/smbldap.c:1231(another_ldap_try)
  Connection to LDAP server failed for the 1 try!

Is there a documented procedure on how to connect samba users to a backend ldap server?

Any help with is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Prakash