[Samba] win 7 client can't map drive: getpeername failed

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon May 13 08:59:45 MDT 2013

That suggests either a configuration difference with some of the win 7
machines or a difference with some of the AD accounts for the machines.

On the NAS, does the "getent passwd" command display user and machine
accounts?   Is it may be showing only some machine accounts and not
others?  It might be possible that samba has been unable to account an
idmap entry for newer machines.   All though I  would think this would
affect authentication issues, not connection issues.  I have found
idmapping to be one of the less reliable functions in samba.

Are all the Win 7 machines configured with identical network settings
(apart from the IP address itself of course.) this should be the case if
you use DHCP.
Are their any security settings on the problem  Win 7 machines that are
different?  If you use gpedit.msc -> computer -> security settings ,
you may want to review things like NTLMv2 settings.   Are all the
machine accounts in the same AD container ?

If this is all AD, then you should not need to use WINS. Although it may
also help resolve confusion about which machine is the local master
browser.    Which shouldn't really matter either.  I use samba 3.x as a
non-AD PDC  so the WINS and browser stuff is more important.

Is the Microsoft server is the AD PDC it may expect to be the local
master browser.   I think there can only be one local master browser per
subnet.    And if you look thru the nmbd logs (?) on the NAS as well as
the logs on the Win 2008 server . you may see results of a browser
election.

the "testparm -v" will show you all the config settings, including those
set by default even if not explicitly set in smb.conf