[Samba] A hello and a query to clear up some samba confusion

VE4PER/Andy ve4per at gmail.com
Sat May 4 10:41:53 MDT 2013

Hi
I am new today here and have a couple of confusing items I hope someone
here o the list can straighten out for me.

1. The definitions of the served usershares apprears in more than one
location; in ubutu 12.04 LTS there appears to be a set of defined shares
in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file near the bottom, the second location
appears to be located in the file structure at /var/lib/samba/usershares
and a possible third area it seems is /srv/samba/sharename.

Which one is affected when sitting it up appears to be related to which
program one uses to set the shares and/or the server up to begin with;
if a terminal "net" command set is used, the /var/lib/samba locations
appear to be used; if any of the other config programs or right-click
share in nautilus etc then the share seems to be defined in the smb.conf
file and seems to be located either in a specified mount location or
else the /srv/samba/ locations.

What is confusing is how it gets this way, and how either duplicate
shares are created or no change is seen when one follows any one of a
number of the online guides, forums or tutorials. Again each tutorial is
written based on one's successful attempt to set samba up and of course
will cause that tutorial to lean one way or the other. Hence if one is
having trouble and follows one tutorial then sees in the network browser
either no change or now duplicate shares it would be frustrating to say
the least.

What isn't obvious is it appears samba server automatically serves up
whatever shares have been defined regardless of their location which
tends to make sense if all is defined in the smb.conf file. But if one
method has set up the shares in /var/lib/samba/usershares and a noobie
isn't aware of same one begins to wonder how the server knows to serve
both locations when all instructions seem to indicate all is defined in
the smb.conf file. How does the server get the info on these shares when
although they are defined in that location they are not referred to in
the smb.conf file? and no ref in the smb.conf file seems to indicate
that samba server is to look anywhere else for a database or registry to
find the data?

2. I am able to see workstations in the workgroup of the network
browser, and when I attempt to see the shares sometimes, depending on
the machine, I get a "network path error not found" or "unable to
download master list" and no real clear indication of why or where to
troubleshoot this problem; on other machines it will show the w/s's and
give a login splashscreen but will not allow a succesful login with a
samba defined userID and password or any linux desktop userID's & PW's
existing on all machines with the linux-samba password sync enabled. It
simply doesn't allow a login.

I use 7 pc's  [ 1 boots win7 or win xp pro-sp3; 2nd boots win7, xp
pro-sp3, mint 14; 1 boots mint 14, 1 boots ubuntu studio 12.04 or
centos6.3; laptop boots win7 or ubuntu studio 12.04; 1 boots ubuntu
studio 12.04]. all linux are set to use NFS and samba is to play nice
with the two win boxes and laptop.

Each flavor of linux, as well as version seems to use slightly different
configuring methods for samba; hence the need to clearly understand it
so that I can arrive at a more or less common single smb.conf method for
shares.

Whatever info anyone can provide will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Flaggmann