[Samba] Is nss_winbind required?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 8 21:00:58 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 15:23 +0100, Alex Matthews wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it a necessity to use the winbind nss module?
> I have run a few tests and having it enabled creates a massive
> bottleneck. It's not nss_winbind itself that is the bottleneck but
> something in the background (I'm guessing uid/rid->username code).
> If I disable winbind in nsswitch.conf what impact will it have? Will the
> system continue to work?

> Please note this last test shows that it is not the nss_winbind module
> that it slow it is something 'behind the scenes'.
> Also note that this is not just applicable to the sysvolreset (it was
> just a convenient method of testing). Copying a directory consisting of
> many small files (eg a windows roaming profile) can be excruciatingly
> slow! 50s+ for a 50mb folder!
> I am sure that it is not a network or drive limitation, copying the
> folder locally and via NFS happen very quickly and copying the same
> folder from a standalone S3 install on the same hardware is 'fast' also.

The issue is that the winbind in the Samba 4.0 AD DC is incredibly
inefficient.  It is required for the [homes] share to work, but we try
to avoid needing it for other things.

I understand this is incredibly frustrating, but what this highlights is
that we really, really need to start on the project to replace it with
running the winbindd code from source3.  The challenge is that this is a
lot of work, which will cause disruption in other parts of the system as
we generalise stuff and add the plugins we need to hook into the AD DC.

I'm increasingly of the view that this will need to be a priority soon,
but it's still hard to get stuck into this stuff.

Andrew Bartlett