[Samba] Building 3.6.12

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed May 8 09:31:45 MDT 2013

Had you posted about this last month?

For active directory support you will need to compile OpenLDAP. The ldap
functionality in Solaris is NOT openldap.   I would that you will need
to specify the path to the kerberos directory. Solaris 9 and Solaris 10
have kerberos installed by default.  Not sure about Solaris 8 -  it used
to be part of the SEAM tool kit?      If kerberos is not installed you
will need to either download it from Sun/Oracle or compile from source.

--with-ads=yes \
--with-ldap=yes \
--with-krb5=/usr

Also make sure winbind and nsswitch support  is enabled. .     You may
want to uninstall the samba 3.0.x packages to avoid confusing on which
winbind/nsswitch libraries are being used.

I would also make sure that your Solaris 8 server is configured to use
the Windows AD PDC as the DNS  master.    I did not configure my systems
as AD members BUT I did configure trusts with AD servers.       Need to
make sure the samba server can locate the AD server.      Doesn't hurt
to make sure all servers are using the same WINS server-  although it
shouldn't be relevant with AD.

You may also want to setup a  Solaris 10 test machine as well. Assuming
you get Samba 3.6.x compile on Solaris 8, and you can't get it to join
the AD domain, you will want some way to determine if the problem is
with the samba config or if the problem is with the samba compile.
If the identical config works on Solaris 10 but not Solaris 8, then you
know you have a problem with the compile.    Solaris 10 will be
diagnostic tool, not the production system.