[Samba] many smbd processes when sync'ing sysvol

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue May 7 17:43:22 MDT 2013

On May 7, 2013 4:56 PM, "Alex Matthews" <qoole.samba at lillimoth.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have three S4 servers running as AD DCs.
> In order to keep the sysvol share in sync I'm using crontab to run the
following command:

> /usr/bin/rsync -PavAX --delete root@<masterPDC>:/var/lib/samba/sysvol/
/var/lib/samba/sysvol/

> However everytime this command is run a couple of extra smbd processes
are started on the <masterPDC> (between 2 and 5 processes) which never exit
and just sit there taking up resources. So, quite quickly I had a system
with over 500 smbd processes and no free memory which very abruptly fell
over and stopped serving genuine clients.

> Has anyone else come across this issue/know what is causing it?
>
> I have taken some level 10 logs of the smbd processes that get formed.
However I don't have access to them from my current location. I will email
them in tomorrow from work.