[Samba] dns entries look weird in remote administration dns tool

Chantal Rosmuller chantal at antenna.nl
Thu May 2 01:13:45 MDT 2013

Hi,

On our samba 4 testserver we inserted the dns records from our dns
server using samba-tool. Everything seems to work ok but when I look at
the dns
entries with the windows dns remote administration tool it all looks
very weird. Here's an example:

This is the insert command:

samba-tool dns add samba4.example.com example.com www1 A 192.168.0.120
-U administrator

When I query the dns with samba-tool I get this (looks fine to me);

[root at samba4 ~]# samba-tool dns query localhost example.com www1 A -U
administrator
Password for [EXAMPLE\administrator]:
   Name=, Records=1, Children=0
     A: 192.168.0.120 (flags=f0, serial=280, ttl=900)

In the windows dns tools however the record for www1 shows up twice, one
looks normal, the other doesn't have any values for type data and timestamp.

Can anyone explain this, we would like to be sure everything is ok
before we start using the server in our production environment.

our OS: CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
samba version: samba 4.0.3

Thanks!