[Samba] Replacing Win2000 DC with Samba4 - Success!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 1 22:17:34 MDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 14:42 +0000, Lukas Gradl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just wanted to share a little success story:
>
> We where asked to replace a Win2000 DC deployed by another company
> which is'nt existing any more. As our focus is software development on
> linux we wanted to deploy a Samba-server instead of Windows.
>
> So after some trial and error and a lot of reading and asking (many
> thanks to all that tried to help!) in mailing-lists and forums we
> managed to do the migration in several steps:
>
> Samba4 is not able to migrate from Win2000 directly - we think this
> problem is not sufficiently addressed in the docs and in the wiki. So
> our first attempts to do so did not succeed.

Did you record the details of why this didn't work?

While I've expressed some hesitation at Windows 2000 support here
previously, the one exception to that is for this kind of migration.

This has worked in the past - indeed, the script has a special case in
it to do a password change the way Windows 2000 will accept.

Andrew Bartlett