[Samba] Build 3.6.12 on Solaris 8

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed May 1 12:11:52 MDT 2013

I had to build OpenLDAP for full ldap functionality.     The solaris
version of kerberos should be sufficient.   But you don't need LDAP so
you can even disable ldap and krb5 in configure.

samba should have a configure script

"./configure --help"  will show you the options.    If you don't specify
prefix it will build in /usr/local (/usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/lib
etc)   which may not be what you want.   I usually like the specify
something like

       --prefix=/usr/local/samba-3.6.12

then symlink /usr/local/samba-3.6.12 to /usr/local/samba.

This lets me build new versions with out breaking the running version.
Just make sure you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH set correctly.

Configure will see what prereqs are installed.   It will also see which
version of cc, gcc and make are available.  configure will create a make
script.  make or dmake will use that file to compile and link stuff in
the correct order.

I wouldn't have thought you needed a map file, assuming the windows user
names match the unix user names.