[Samba] Ran classiupgrade, users not there

simon+samba at matthews.eu simon+samba at matthews.eu
Fri Mar 29 23:07:24 MDT 2013

I am attempting to do an upgrade from SAMBA3 to SAMBA4. I am working on a
new VM rather than the existing SAMBA3 server.

The old server uses tdbsam as the passdb backend. I copied the contents of
/var/lib/samba and the smb.conf from the old machine to the new machine.

We run a yp domain, which has the same name as the samba domain. The dns
domain is different. Users exist in both the yp passwd map and the samba
domain.

I followed the instructions on building SAMBA here:
http://opentodo.net/2013/01/samba4-as-ad-domain-controller-on-centos-6/

then moved to the instructions on migration here:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/samba-tool/domain/classicupgrade/HOWTO#Upgrading_In_Place

It appeared to finish normally (it complained about a couple of duplicate
entries).

However, after the classicupgrad, running
/usr/local/samba/bin/pdbedit -L
reveals that the users and groups do not exist.

Should I expect this? If so, what database holds the user information?

Simon