[Samba] Internal DNS CNAME not working

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Fri Mar 29 13:22:45 MDT 2013

Am Freitag, 29. März 2013, 18:32:22 schrieb Wayne Andersen:
> Centos 6.4 64bit
>
> I have just sent the details of strace and dig, in a separate mail
> Frankly I do not know how to read the results.
>
> dnstracer -v my-server.mydomain.com fails with, return code 3 (Name error)
> dnstracer -v -q cname my-server.mydomain.com succeeds, returns Resource
> data (9)samba-001
>
> It looks like my resolver only checks the local dns for A records.
>
> Wayne Andersen
> System Administrator
> Clima-Tech Corporation
> 208-947-1849
>
> On 03/28/2013 09:50 PM, Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 28. März 2013, 23:42:50 schrieb Wayne Andersen:
> >> Samba 4.0.0
> >>
> >> I am running all of these commands from the PDC DC1.
> >>
> >> /etc/resolv.conf
> >> domain mydomain.com
> >> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> >>
> >> smb.conf does have a
> >> dns forwarder = 192.168.1.2
> >>
> >> samba-001 the actual host name, and also a PDC, in the same domain.
> >> I would like to have the alias my-server point to samba-001.
> >>
> >> I added a CNAME record:
> >> bin/samba-tool dns add 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com my-server CNAME samba-001
> >> -Uadministrator
> >>
> >> I can query it.
> >>
> >> bin/samba-tool dns query 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com my-server CNAME
> >>
> >> Password for [administrator at MYDOMAIN.COM]:
> >>     Name=, Records=1, Children=0
> >>
> >>       CNAME: samba-001. (flags=f0, serial=6, ttl=900)
> >>
> >> Host finds it.
> >>
> >> host -t CNAME my-server.mydomain.com
> >> my-server.mydomain.com is an alias for samba-001.
> >>
> >> I cannot ping it, it is not resolving properly.
> >>
> >> ping samba-001,  resolves to the proper IP
> >> ping samba-001.mydomain.com,  resolves to the proper IP
> >> ping my-server,  ping: unknown host
> >> ,  ping: unknown host
> >
> > which unix/linux distro and version are you running?
> >
> > Try
> > strace ping -c1 my-server.mydomain.com
> > and look for errors.
> >
> > I did the same tests here on opensuse (samba git master) and
> > don't see that failure.
> >
> > What do you get with:
> > dig @localhost my-server.mydomain.com   ?
> >
> > Cheers, Günter

You are still using samba-4.0.0 - a lot of stuff has changed
over time - recent is 4.0.4.
I'm a bit wondering about
  ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available
in the failing dig command.

In former samba versions there _was_ a [global] smb.conf option
    recursive queries = yes

samba-tool testparm -v --suppress-prompt should list all
available options.

Can you try that one, if valid?

Cheers, Günter

ps - i possible, you should upgrade samba!