[Samba] Samba4 issue: roaming profile mismatch betweens W2k/XP machines due to enabled o

Jim Potter jimchuffff at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 27 07:44:47 MDT 2013

Hi Lucas,

This is normal. when a user logs in, everything from user profile is copied
to c:\docs and settings\<username> and when they log out everything is
copied back, but nothing is deleted. As a result, you get all manner of
junk building up in your profile, its not easy to delete and logins just
get slower and slower as all this is copied about.

I get round this by redirecting desktop to either a read only share or to a
subdirectory of networked my docs folder. Also I use preexec scripts to
manage user profile.

Hope that helps

Jim

On Mar 27, 2013 12:04 PM, "?icro MEGAS" <micromegas at mail333.com> wrote:

> Samba 4.0.4 installed, provisioned by classicupgrade, running on Debian
Squeeze:

> The issue is, that changes to the roaming profile is not transferred
after log ins/outs between Win2K and XP machine. In example: I log into the
W2k machine with my testuser and create a "testdir1" and "testdir2" on the
Desktop. I logoff again. I check with "ls -l" if these directories was
created on samba4 side at the file system (profiles share path). The test
directories were created and the permissions + acls looks fine. Now I logon
with this testuser at winXP machine. I can see "testdir1" + "testdir2" on
the desktop. Now I delete "testdir1" and create a new dir called
"fromxphost". So I see on the XP machine two dirs, called "testdir2" +
"fromxphost". I logoff from the XPhost and log into the w2k machine again.
Here is the issue --> I see three directories, called "testdir1",
"testdir2" and "fromxphost". When I logoff now again, these 3 directories
will of course saved exactly like this onto the roaming profile. When the
user logs into XP machine afterwards, he also will
>   see these 3 directories. I have tested various user account and w2k/xp
hosts. When I add/delete directories on this way to the w2k host logged on,
no problem occurs. The user sees the updated directories. The problem
occurs when the user switches from W2K --to---> XP host, or vice-versa.

> I think I have found out the reason of my problem with w2k clients and
roaming profile mismatch --> samba4 uses offline caching which I cannot
explain why so? In samba3 there was an option in smb.conf called "csc
policy" or something like that. But smb.conf in samba4 doesn't seem to
exist. I have realized that a Windows XP client in my samba4 domain writes
warning to the event log that offline caching on the roaming profile was
detected ! Unfortunately I see no way to disable that on samba4 server.
Exact the same issue was mentioned by another user in February on the samba
list here:

> http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/Offline-Caching-td4357156.html
>
> With WinXP and Win7 there seems no problem as the content of the roaming
profile seems to be saved/loaded correctly. Didnt realize any mismatch
issues with WinXP/Win7 clients before. But on W2k clients it does NOT :(
thats really a big issue in my case, cause we still have about 15-20 W2k
clients in prod. environment. At luck I am not migrated yet to Samba4 on
prod.env. cause I am still testing on my isolated test environment where I
test with various Win2k, WinXP and Win7 clients. Under this circumstances I
**CANNOT** migrate my samba3 domain to the new samba4 domain, as all my W2k
clients would show this issue. Any information on developer side regarding
this offline caching mechanism on samba4 ? any help, hint, info is really
appreciated.