[Samba] Internal DNS and Replication

Alan Schmitz aschmitz at silo.lib.ia.us
Tue Mar 26 18:02:32 MDT 2013

On 3/26/2013 14:48, Dustin C. Hatch wrote:

> This sounds very similar to a problem I was having, though not quite. In
> my situation, DNS changes on the existing DC were replicated to the
> Samba server, but not vice versa. I ended up solving the problem by
> manually listing the Samba server as holding a replica of the
> DomainDnsZones and ForestDnsZones application partitions. Try running
> these commands on a Windows machine:
>
> ntdsutil "part man" "conn" "con to ser <windowsdc>" q "add nc replica
> ntdsutil "part man" "conn" "con to ser <windowsdc>" q "add nc replica
>
> Replace the items in angle brackets with their actual values (removing
> the brackets), of course.

I ran these commands on the Windows server (server1), and I'm seeing a
slight improvement.  Thanks for the help.

Samba4 (server2) now shows some outbound neighbors.  When I join a
workstation to the domain, an incomplete record shows up on server2.

The output of this:
   samba-tool dns query localhost ankeny.local @ ALL

dumps a few records that look like this:
   Name=ADWKS6, Records=0, Children=0
   Name=ADWKS7, Records=0, Children=0
   Name=DomainDnsZones, Records=0, Children=2
   Name=ForestDnsZones, Records=0, Children=2
   Name=server1, Records=1, Children=0
     A: 172.16.16.101 (flags=f0, serial=185, ttl=3600)
   Name=server2, Records=0, Children=0

adwks6 and adwks7 were joined to the domain after server2.

Are the IPs supposed to be populated during DNS replication, or is the
client supposed to update both DCs?  Does the resolver on server2 need
to be pointed to itself in order for DNS replication to work properly?

Thanks,
Alan