[Samba] Internal DNS and Replication

Alan Schmitz aschmitz at silo.lib.ia.us
Tue Mar 26 13:15:40 MDT 2013

I'm trying to join a Linux server running Samba 4.0.4 as a DC to an
existing AD domain.  The current DC (server1) is running Server 2008 not
R2.  The Samba server (server2) is using internal DNS.  I'm following
"Samba4/HOWTO/Join a domain as a DC" from the wiki.  The join seems to
work, but I'm having problems with DNS replication.

During the join many DNS records for server2 are added to server1's DNS.
  The A records for server1 and several Windows workstations are also
added to server2's DNS.

After the join, I followed the steps listed under "Check required DNS
entries of the new host", and I added the records that weren't added
during the join.  I also ran "samba-tool drs kcc".

A "samba-tool dns query" of the Samba server shows server2 as
"Name=server2, Records=0, Children=0" with no corresponding IP address.

"samba-tool drs showrepl server1" shows inbound neighbors, outbound
neighbors, and kcc connection objects.  "samba-tool drs showrepl
server2" shows no outbound neighbors and always ends with "Warning: No
NC replicated for Connection".

When I join a Windows 7 workstation to Active Directory, DNS entries are
added to server1, but they never show up on server2.

Running "samba_dnsupdate --verbose" shows no errors and ends with "No
DNS Updates needed".

Is DNS replication supposed to work between a DC running Server 2008 and
Samba4 with internal DNS?  There's nothing showing up in the logs about
DNS, so what should I do to debug this?

Thanks,
Alan