[Samba] Samba4 home share problem

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Sun Mar 24 00:34:18 MDT 2013

Hi,

> I have installed Samba4 and the home share functionality is not working.
>
> Samba version: 4.0.1
> OS: Debian Squeeze
> Kernel: 2.6.32-5-amd64
>
> The smb.conf:
> [global]
>          workgroup = TESZT
>          realm = TESZT.HU
>          netbios name = FILESERVER
>          server role = active directory domain controller
>          server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
> drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
>          load printers = no
>          printing = bsd
>          printcap name = /dev/null
>          show add printer wizard = no
>          disable spoolss = yes
>          log level = 3
>          syslog = 3
>          syslog only = yes
>          logon path =
> #       logon home = \\fileserver\homes\%U
>          logon drive = H:
>          logon script = %U.cmd
>
> [netlogon]
>          path = /opt/samba4/var/lib/samba/sysvol/fileserver.teszt.hu/scripts
>          read only = No
>
> [sysvol]
>          path = /opt/samba4/var/lib/samba/sysvol
>          read only = No
>
> [homes]
>          path = /home
>          read only = no
>
> After a net use h: /home command on client I get this:
> System error 53 has occured. The network path was not found.
>
> The user I try: Administrator and the client OS is Windows XP Pro.
> I think the rights on the server are ok.
> When I try to set the home for Administrator in AD I get the answer:
> The system could not create the startfolder (\\fileserver\homes\Administrator),
> because can't find path.
>
> Is there anybody who can use this functionality?
>
> Please help.
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Chris
Samba 4.0.x has two operation modes:
1. Active directory domain controller
2. Member or standalone server (or classic (NT4 style) domain controller)

2. behaves the same way (regarding shares) as Samba 3.x.y
1. has some limitation in this regard, for example the missing home
metashare (in 3.x.y you shouldn't specify a path as it would be deduced
based on the connected users home directory)

You could emulate a behavior similar to the 3.x.y one with the AD mode
if you specify hide unreadable = yes and set the folder rights for each
home directory accordingly.

As a sidenote: 4.0.1 is quite old, especially if you want to run your AD
DC as a fileserver at least 4.0.4 is recommended.

Regards

Geza Gemes