[Samba] stat between reads

Frank Kautz frank.kautz at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Fri Mar 22 08:18:53 MDT 2013

Hello,

when re-exporting the parallel (network) file-system FhGFS, I noticed a
significantly reduced read performance. In the output of strace, I see a
stat call between the reads of the blocks of a file. In a network based
file system a stat could be expensive. I looked into the source code and
I think the stat is done in the method send_file_readX() (file:
source3/smbd/reply.c) which calls fsp_stat(). What is the reason for
this stat? Is it possible to disable this stat by a configuration option
or just avoid it in the code?

kind regards,

Frank
FhGFS developer