[Samba] samba-tool classicupgrade (from v3 to v4) aborts with "Unable to get id for sid"

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 22 06:01:34 MDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 10:15 -0600, Max Olivas wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade from samba3 -> 4.  I ran this command:
>
> WORKDIR=/usr/local/mobius
> /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool domain classicupgrade --dbdir=$WORKDIR/var --use-xattrs=yes --realm=infinityhealthcare.com $WORKDIR/smb.conf
>
> but it failed with the error given in this email's subject.  What does it mean, and how do I fix it?
>
> This is just another is a growing line of errors that I've had while trying to perform the classicupgrade.  What are the requirements for this classicupgrade to be successful?  I want to get past this error, of course, but I'm leary of how many more errors will be encountered afterwards.  If there were a definition of what state your data must be in, and any other requirements, that would help.
>
> Thanks for any help you lend,

The big issue here is that passdb has never had a 'fsck', and Samba
operates quite well as a 'classic' DC with an almost totally invalid
database!

As to what has happened in your particular instance, could you please
post me the output of ldbdump private/idmap.ldb?

This might give us some clues as to what is going wrong.  The database
has been migrated at this point, and the process is almost over, but it
is trying to set the NT ACLs on the files in the [sysvol] share, and
something goes wrong mapping one of the SIDs to a UID or GID.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett