[Samba] Making users local administrators

Terry Austin terry at crownhardware.com
Thu Mar 21 09:42:12 MDT 2013

On 21 Mar 2013 at 11:30, Michael Leone wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Terry Austin <terry at crownhardware.com> wrote:
> > On 21 Mar 2013 at 10:29, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> >
> >> DONT DO IT !!
> >>
> >> This is Administrators 1ste rule !!
> >> NEVER, but then NEVER giver users Administrator/PowerUser rights.
> >
> > I have no choice. There's too much stuff out of my control that requires
> > the daily user have admin rights locally.
>
> Well, it's a lot more work, but you could use the Windows utilities
> FILEMON and REGMON to monitor what file and registry access your
> applications require on the local machine, and then grant the local
> user access to just those needed items, rather than across-the-board
> full local administrator access.

I wish. The biggest issues requiring this is a web site built with ActiveX
controls running in IE. That get updated, replaces, and expanded upon
fairly frequently. And users who are, for the most part, aware of how inept
they are with comptuers, and don't generally do stupid things, but would
have a hell of a time figuring out how to handle updates that require more
than clicking on the OK box. And this *has* to be something I can
administer remotely; we have 17 locations in two states, and I simply can't
run out to a (or all) remote store every time there's an updated on the
support web site.