[Samba] Samba4 Compile Error

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 06:11:25 MDT 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Oner Olcerel
<oner.olcerel at digitalpictures.com.au> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to compile Samba4 on RHEL 5.3 which didn't have Python on it.  I've downloaded  Python-2.6.5.tar from http://ftp.samba.org/pub/tridge/python/. I get the following error during the compile :

Stop *right* there. I'm going to be *amazed* if you successfully
installed RHEL 5.3 without Python, because a lot core utilities such
as "yum" depend on it.

I've been working, when I can spare time, on backporting the Samba
4.0.3 SRPM from Fedoraq to RHEL 6, and there are a *lot* of
dependencies. Note that simply slapping Python 2.6 on top of RHEL 5 by
compiling and stuffing it in place is..... bound to cause a raft of
fascinating issues, and I don't recommend it.

Definitely update to RHEL 6.4, if possible, and consider working from
my samba-4.0.3 backports at:

               https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo

This is designed to check out all the other needed dependencies, and
work from there to build up a local yum repository with all the
necessary libtdb, libldb, iniparser, and other dependencies.