[Samba] Server 2012 Encrypted Shares and SMB 3.0

Cory Spence coryspence at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 22:59:49 MDT 2013

Hello Samba folks,

Server 2012 has an option to create encrypted shares which enable
in-transit data encryption between Windows 8 clients using SMB 3.0.

 (
http://blogs.technet.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-47-85-metablogapi/2313.clip_5F00_image00111_5F00_757A262D.jpg
)

I ran across a presentation from Michael Adam where he mentioned that the
SMB 3.0 implementation in Samba 4 supports "new crypto (sign/encrypt)". I
really want that to mean what I'm hoping it means...

(
http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files2/SDC2012/presentations/SMB2-3/MichaelAdam-Status-smb3-samba-presentation.pdf
)

In all my efforts, I can't seem to get this to work in the lab (access
denied error) or find any conclusive answer to it being supported up to
v4.0.3.  This would include either where 1.) the Samba server is serving
out an encrypted share as the file server or 2.) as a client connecting to
a Server 2012 encrypted share.

Many thanks!