[Samba] Server 2012 Encrypted Shares

Cory Spence coryspence at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 12:28:39 MST 2013

Hello Samba folks!

Server 2012 has an option to enable in-transit data encryption with Windows
8 clients using SMB 3.0.

 (
http://blogs.technet.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-47-85-metablogapi/2313.clip_5F00_image00111_5F00_757A262D.jpg
)

I ran across a presentation from Michael Adam where he mentioned that the
SMB 3.0 implementation in Samba 4 supports "new crypto (sign/encrypt)". Not
sure that means what I want it to but I remain hopeful.  :-)

(
http://www.snia.org/sites/default/files2/SDC2012/presentations/SMB2-3/MichaelAdam-Status-smb3-samba-presentation.pdf
)

In all my efforts, I can't seem to get this to work in the lab.  Does Samba
4 support SMB 3.0 encrypted shares?  This would include either where the
Samba server is serving out an encrypted share as the file server or as a
client connecting to a Server 2012 encrypted share.

Many thanks!
Cory