[Samba] Samba ignoring group permissions (list files permission) for Windows 7 clients

Ivo Palli ivo at palli.nl
Fri Mar 15 07:57:37 MDT 2013

Hi all,

After updating a RHEL6 server I'm having trouble with Samba ignoring
group permissions on directories. If I mount it under Linux as CIFS,
everything works as expected. But trying to mount it with a Windows 7
client gives me problems.

My shares are mode drwxr-x--- (750) with owner 'root.domain users'. If I
try to mount it under Windows 7, I get "Windows cannot access... You do
not have permissions to..".

However if I create a directory 'temp' with mode rwxrwxrwx (777) then I
can access it by going to it directly: \\myserver\myshare\temp\

If I change the mode of 'temp' to 770, I can no longer access it (i.e.
cannot list files), but I _can_ access any files inside as long as I
address them directly:

-rw-rw----   root.domain users   myfile1.txt

\\myserver\myshare\temp\myfile1.txt

I can also create files in that directory.

So I can not list files, but I should be able to. If I create a file
with a Windows 7 user, the owner is "user1.domain users", so it's the
correct group.

For all above examples, I stripped all ACL's, so it's just the Unix
uid/gid owner permissions on the files and directories.

Can anybody help me to figure out why I cannot list the directories
under Windows 7? It works under Linux mounts.

My version is the latest RHEL6 version, i.e. Version 3.6.9-151.el6

Thanks!

   Ivo Palli