[Samba] samba4 AD DC as file server?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 12 22:42:08 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 20:02 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 06:34 PM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 01:30 +0800, d tbsky wrote:
> >> hi:
> >>    I want to setup a small samba4 server with AD and file server function.
> >> I know that samba4 AD DC has no netbios browsing support. are there other
> >> missing functions, like winbindd or something else?
> > The next release will include this patch, which avoids mistakenly
> > creating world-writeable files in additional file shares.
> >
> >>   and if I install two samba4 instance, one to "/usr/local/samba"(for file
> >> server), one to "/usr/local/samba-ad"(for AD DC). and give them two seprate
> >> ip to bind. will it work better?
> > No, it would need to be a different virtual machine (you can only have
> > one winbind per machine, and the different winbind is most important
> > difference between the operating modes).
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >

> Are you saying that it is not possible to use a Samba 4 AD DC as a file server?

It is fully supported, but please use the patch I e-mailed while we wait
for the wheels to turn on a security release with it in.

We have generally suggested separating the roles, but that is because we
think that users of our AD DC might wish to have different redundancy,
life cycle and other requirements between the two modes of operation.
This applies particularly on larger sites.

Andrew Bartlett