[Samba] Trying to understand authentication

Shaw, Kevin Kevin.Shaw at xerox.com
Mon Mar 11 19:34:36 MDT 2013

I am running Solaris 10 u8 running Samba 3.6.6. Windows server 2008R2 runs AD.

I don't understand samba authentication and hope someone might be able to help me understand the process. The following configuration appears to be functional. NIS is running and Winbind is not. Pam.conf has not been touched. Nsswitch.conf has the default configuration for nis. Pdbedit -Lv shows no users. How are domain users authenticating to my Samba server? I'm guessing that net rpc join had something to do with it?

[global]
        bind interfaces only    = Yes
        case sensitive          = Yes
        comment                 = Global Definitions
        create mask             = 0775
        directory mask          = 0775
        follow symlinks         = No
        guest account           = ftp
        guest ok                = No
        host msdfs              = No
        hosts allow             = 13.,127.
        hosts deny              = ALL
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        interfaces              = nge0,lo0
        kernel oplocks          = No
        level2 oplocks          = No
        map to guest            = Bad UID
        max disk size           = 131072
        oplocks                 = No
        preserve case           = Yes
        unix extensions         = No
        lm announce             = No
        local master            = No
        max protocol            = SMB2
        min protocol            = NT1
        name resolve order      = host,bcast,wins,lmhosts
        netbios name            = SERVER
        security                = DOMAIN
        username map            = /etc/samba/users.map
        wins server             = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        workgroup               = DOMAINNAME
        log file                = /var/samba/log/log.%m
        log level               = 4
        syslog                  = 2

[ColorQube]
        path                    = /ColorQube