[Samba] SaMBa 4 - authenticate ftp server

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 13:19:33 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Celso Viana <celso.vianna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to authenticate an ftp server
> (proftpd or vsftpd) based LDAP Samba 4?
>
> Thanks

Why would you *want* to? FTP handles passwords in clear text. FTPS can
be done more securely, but there are so many different technologies
called FTPS that it's confusiong.

In general, I've tossed FTP out the window and go with HTTPS based
access, including WebDAV over HTTPS which works very well for uploads.
It's the technology underlying Subversion source control web access,
and it's a lot easier to deal with the firewalls and managing web
based access.