[Samba] "Samba 4" - "smbd"; "can't parse the PAC: NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL" error but only for a single domain user ("Server 2008 R2" domain, "Server 2008" functional level forest).

Tris Mabbs TM-Samba201302 at Firstgrade.Co.UK
Fri Mar 8 04:37:00 MST 2013

Hiya Michael,

Many thanks for that - very much appreciated.

I think I should learn more about "git" than currently I know - however this
is not the time to do so.
So I ran your commands, first not worrying about any local changes so just
updating my local copy:

------->Cut here:
samba-master % git remote add gd git://gitweb.samba.org/gd/samba
samba-master % git checkout -b master-krb5pac gd/master-krb5pac
fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
branches/forcing
Did you intend to checkout 'gd/master-krb5pac' which can not be resolved as
commit?
samba-master %
<-------Cut here.

OK, not so good ...
So then I (effectively) completely removed and recreated my "samba-master"
and tried your second option:

------->Cut here:
samba-master % cd ..
samba % mv samba-master samba-master.tmp ; mkdir samba-master ; cd
samba-master
samba-master % git clone git://gitweb.samba.org/gd/samba samba-gd
Initialized empty Git repository in
/var/tmp/samba/samba-master/samba-gd/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 928083, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (708307/708307), done.
samba-master % cd samba-gd
samba-gd % git checkout -b master-krb5pac origin/master-krb5pac
Branch master-krb5pac set up to track remote branch
refs/remotes/origin/master-krb5pac.
Switched to a new branch "master-krb5pac"
samba-gd % dircmp . ../../samba-master.tmp |& grep -i '^different' | grep -v
'/\.git/'
different       ./auth/credentials/pycredentials.c
different       ./auth/kerberos/kerberos_pac.c
different       ./lib/torture/torture.h
different       ./lib/util/samba_util.h
different       ./lib/util/tevent_debug.c
different       ./librpc/idl/krb5pac.idl
different       ./librpc/ndr/ndr_krb5pac.c
different       ./pidl/wscript
different       ./source3/auth/auth_generic.c
different       ./source3/auth/auth_util.c
different       ./source3/lib/events.c
different       ./source3/libnet/libnet_join.c
different       ./source3/libnet/libnet_join.h
different       ./source3/libsmb/pylibsmb.c
different       ./source3/smbd/oplock.c
different       ./source4/auth/gensec/pygensec.c
different       ./source4/lib/events/tevent_s4.c
different       ./source4/lib/registry/pyregistry.c
different       ./source4/torture/ndr/drsblobs.c
different       ./source4/torture/ndr/nbt.c
different       ./source4/torture/ndr/ndr.c
different       ./source4/torture/ndr/ndr.h
different       ./source4/torture/ndr/ntprinting.c
different       ./source4/torture/wscript_build
different       ./source4/winbind/wb_cmd_getgrgid.c
different       ./source4/winbind/wb_cmd_getgrnam.c
different       ./source4/winbind/wb_cmd_getpwnam.c
samba-gd %
<-------Cut here.

That does actually seem to have done something, and the files which are
changed look as though they might be relevant to this problem.
Not sure why that worked but the first option didn't, but there you go ...

So, again, many thanks - I'll now try building from that branch and testing;
I'll send an update once done.

Cheers!

Tris.