[Samba] tracking user activity - Active Directory

Gregory Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Thu Mar 7 13:38:39 MST 2013

Yes.

Under /var/log/samba in a typical distro you will find the log files for
each IP address/workstation connected to the samba server.

You could then use egrep to go through the files and look for various
logins.

A typical example would be:

egrep -in "gcarter|Mar 5" log*

The above example looks through all of the log files beginning with
"log" and looks for the samba user name and date associated with the name.

If you are not capturing that sort of detail, depending on how you have
your smbd process configured, you might be out of luck.

You can use the same technique on any log file including Email if you
are running a email/smtp/pop server of course for searching information.

-gc