[Samba] EXTERNAL: Re: SAMBA bringing NFS server to a halt

Andersen, Jan jandersen at informatica.com
Wed Mar 6 06:54:55 MST 2013

Hi Matthew,

I am not the best person to help you, regrettably, but I do run samba, so perhaps I can say something that is helpful, even if only by accident.

What strikes me is the number of smbd processes; do you really have as many as 15000? I would expect most systems to run out of steam before the process list got that long, but I think there is a way of limiting the number of smb processes. I had a brief look at the man page for smb.conf (which seems to reside in /etc/samba, normally), but there is an obscene number of parameters, so I didn't find the relevant one. I'd suggest that you set a reasonable limit, though; when the limit is reached, users won't be able to connect, but the ones that are on will have a decent performance, at least.

It surprises me that this should be connected to SVN or Eclipse; unless you have many 1000s of users you shouldn't really get that many smbd processes. A way to get closer to the source of the problem would be to look in the logs (usually in /var/log/samba, or so); there should be one log per connecting system. What I usually do is delete them all and then look at them a shortish while later when they seem to have grown somewhat. I suspect you will see the same message over and over and hopefully that will give you some idea of what is wrong.

I hope this will help you; or if not, perhaps it will provoke a better answer from somebody who knows better.

/jan