[Samba] unix password sync doesnt work

Krzysztof Szarlej kszarlej94 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 03:39:15 MDT 2013

Hi I am struggling with samba password syncing. Everything works fine but
this syncing. It simply doesnt work, I was setting it according to
different tutorials aswell as samba docs.

My [global] in smb.conf looks as follows I have been changing passwd chat
directive to passwd chat = New*password: %n\n Retype*new*password: %n\n
passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully  but also it didnt
work.

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = user
map to guest = bad user
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New password* %n\n *new password* %n\n *success*
debug level = 100
passwd chat debug = yes

 I am running Samba 3.6.9 on Centos 6.4