[Samba] samba 4.0.6 getent group

smb l. ist smblist at tms3labs.com
Tue Jun 25 15:57:10 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 11:48 -0700, smb l. ist wrote:
> Hello all listies.
>
> I've got samba4.0.6 running on FreeBSD 9.1.
>
> Joined W2K12 domain as member server.
>
> running getent group I noticed it takes a long time to resolve groups.
>
> The result is correct, but it is inordinately long.
>
> With 3.6.13 on FreeBSD 9.1 the return is nearly instantaneous.

Hi
Do you ever need to list _all_ the groups? If not then set:
 winbind enum groups = No
and then query the groups singly:
getent group name.of.group

Also, you could cache them. I'm not sure but nscd may work with winbind.
hth
Steve

Yes, in fact the tool I'm  writing NEEDS all groups from AD, so, that's not going to work. And as the script doesn't know the groups ahead of time.....

It's weird, I'll grab a winbind -i d 10 file when I get a minute. Something is looping around during the group call...

Thanks for your time.

T3