[Samba] Shared drives not writeable

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Tue Jun 25 09:13:41 MDT 2013

Hi Steve,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:

> Hi
> OK, I'll have a go.
> Either use acls or smb.conf. I've never been able to get a mixture of
> both to work. Tidy up:
> chgrp -R staff-faculty /netdrives/shared
> chmod 0770 /netdrives/shared
> chmod g+s /netdrives/shared
> setfacl -d -Rm g::rwx /netdrives/shared
> set a loose acl for Domain Admins or map them to root
>
> Then just:
> [Shared Drives]
> path = /netdrives/shared
> read only = no
> inherit acls = Yes

Here are the results.

I tried what you suggested on the existing share and was not able to
connect with any member of the staff-facutly group.

So I set up a new test share on the same box configured just as you
suggested and had the same issue.

So I set up a new test share on the DC box (running 3.6.9) just as you
suggested and *am* able to connect with any member of the staff-facutly
group but with the following caveats:

Group members can read all files.
Group members may only write to files for which they are the owner.

I'm not sure what's happening on the member server. It is almost as if
Samba is not considering group membership when calculating perms on that
box.

I can send along more detailed config and debug info if anyone would like
to see it.

Thanks for the help.

Kind Regards,
Chris