[Samba] How to add a client to a domain?

René Fuchs r.fuchs at aixtema.de
Tue Jun 18 01:29:39 MDT 2013

Hi,
did you change the registry of your Windows 7 Client?
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000

Sounds a lot like you did not.

Am 18.06.2013 08:03, schrieb quiztli at lavabit.com:
> Hello
>
> I have recently "inherited" a small domain consisting of a linux server
> running samba 3.6 and one client computer running Windows 7.
>
> I want to add another client (also running Windows 7) to the domain.
> Previously adding clients has been done by manually creating a linux
> machine account and samba account.
>
> I have created the accounts for the new client but when I try to configure
> it to be part of the domain a window pops up prompting for an account and
> password "that can join the domain". I don't really know what to enter
> here and I am unable to add the machine.
>
> Quoting from the documentation:
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-member.html#machine-trust-accounts
>
> "When the user elects to make the client a domain member, Windows 200x
> prompts for an account and password that has privileges to create machine
> accounts in the domain."
>
> "A Samba administrator account (i.e., a Samba account that has root
> privileges on the Samba server) must be entered here; the operation will
> fail if an ordinary user account is given. The necessary privilege can be
> assured by creating a Samba SAM account for root or by granting the
> SeMachineAccountPrivilege privilege to the user account."
>
> What should I do sucessfully add the client to the domain?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
René Fuchs

aixTeMa(®) Digitale Loesungen GmbH
René Fuchs
Philipsstr. 8, 52068 Aachen, Germany
Tel.: +49 241 70515-1323, Fax: +49 241 70515-15
mailto:r.fuchs at aixtema.de

WWW: http://www.aixtema.de
Shop: http://shop.aixtema.de

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Oliver Rossbruch
HRB 8201, Amtsgericht Aachen
USt.-Id-Nr. DE 210 906 744
St.-Nr. 201/5942/3737, Finanzamt Aachen Stadt