[Samba] samba4 missing group membership with getent group

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 24 04:26:19 MDT 2013

If you are using S4 as an ADDC then you are using the builtin winbind and
as far as I can see, this cannot provide group memberships via getent.

I could be wrong but I believe that all the builtin winbind pulls from AD
is the users name & users primary group. These are either via some
algorithm or via rfc2307 uidNumber & gidNumber that must be added manually.

As far as I can see, the only way to get getent on the S4 server to show
groupmembers is to use sssd

If you want to use the S4 server also as a fileserver, you must ensure that
the users have the same uidNumber everywhere. This means that you must use
rfc2307 attributes and use something to pull them, i.e the winbind ad
backend or sssd, the winbind rid backend will not do - it will never give
you the same uidNumber on the S3 clients as on the S4 AD server.