[Samba] DNS replication and BDCs

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Fri Jun 21 22:05:19 MDT 2013

Hello David,

Am 21.06.2013 23:42, schrieb "David González Herrera - [DGHVoIP]":
> root at bdc:~# dig @10.10.10.20 AXFR example.local
> example.local.         900     IN      A       10.10.10.5
> example.local.         900     IN      A       21x.xxx.xxx.xxx
> example.local.         900     IN      A       10.10.10.20
> example.local.         900     IN      A       10.10.10.15
> example.local.         900     IN      A       192.168.5.5
> Now I'd like to remove the public IP 21x.xxx.xxx.xxx from the zone I use:
>
> samba-tool dns delete samba.example.local example.local
> samba.example.local NS 21x.xxx.xxx.xxx -U Administrator
> samba-tool dns delete samba.example.local example.local
> samba.example.local A 21x.xxx.xxx.xxx -U Administrator
>
> They all succeed, but I keep seeing that when I dig the zone as you can
> see on the previous dig.

I guess Samba is listening on the public IP as well?
# netstat -taunp | grep samba | grep 21x.xxx.xxx.xxx

If it does, then bind samba just to the interfaces, it should listen
(this would also save you firewall rules, to prevent access on the other
interfaces, when it won't listen there).

         bind interfaces only = yes
         interfaces = lo eth0
(set "interfaces" to all devices, Sambas services should listen on +
localhost)

Then restart Samba.

>> Then you only have to configure your clients, to use the second
>> machine as DNS server, too.
 >
> This is what concerns me the most, as I'm connecting services as
> Postfix/Dovecot,OpenVPN I was using the IP of the PDC 10.10.10.5. Can I
> use "example.local" on my LDAP/AD clients configuration?. And will it be
> like round robin-dns, if one server doesn't respond will the pther take
> over?.

Normally the most services work fine with hostnames instead of IPs. It
makes you more flexible (round robin), but then the service depents on
DNS, too.

Regards,
Marc