[Samba] Mac Os 10.6 - 10.8 and Samba 3.6.9

Terre Porter tporter at webpage-builders.com
Fri Jun 21 13:03:33 MDT 2013

Hello,

I have a very odd issue happening, that I hope someone else might be
able to give me pointers.

I have two different networks running in two different locations,
connected by a network vpn.

In each network I have a test smb virtual machine.
---------
Smb Machine 1: (smbtest1) (remote network)

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.4 (Final)

#rpm -qa | grep samba

samba-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64
samba-common-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64
samba-client-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64
samba-winbind-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64
samba-winbind-clients-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64

# smbd -V
Version 3.6.9-151.el6

---------
Smb Machine 2: (smbtest) (local network)

cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.4 (Final)

#rpm -qa | grep samba

samba-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64
samba-common-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64
samba-client-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64
samba-winbind-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64
samba-winbind-clients-3.6.9-151.el6.x86_64

# smbd -V
Version 3.6.9-151.el6

-------------

I used the same smb.conf file for both. (attached)
Only difference is the netbios name, one is smbtest the other is smbtest1.

I created a directory on each machine, like so:

mkdir -p /home/shares/testshare
chmod -R ug+rwx,o+rx-w /home/shares/testshare

set up a user,

# useradd smbuser -g users
# passwd smbuser
	(same on both)

added in to samba,

#smbpasswd -a smbuser
	(same password as linux acct)

I've tried with the firewall stoped, and by adding in ports.

-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 137 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 138 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 445 -j ACCEPT

Started up the smb server and connected with my windows 7 machine - no
problems connected fine.

Dumped in about a gig of files, images mostly.

Went to the Mac on my workbench (local network) connected to the local
smbtest machine, it connects was able to browse the files in finder no
problem.

Ok, logged in to the remote (smbtest1) machine (over network vpn) with
the windows 7 machine, no problem really fast actually.

On the mac, connected to the remote (smbtest1) machine, when I double
click on the finder to enter the test directory that has about 200 files
in it, the finder just sits there... for at least two or more minuets
before showing anything.

I tried to connect to the smbtest1 machine from inside the remote
network, using a mac running 10.6 (instead of 10.8) it does the same
thing as connecting from here, the finder just sits there for a long
time then shows files and its very slow.

What i don't get is that i can use the local mac and connect to the
local smbtest and it works fine. But, if i connect a remote mac to the
remote smbtest1, or try to connect the local mac to the remote smbtest1
it total bogs down and is slow.

I ran tcpdump on the local network machine (smbtest) and it showed a few
lines, every seconds.

I ran tcpdump on the remote network machine (smbtest1) and it flooded
the screen with text.

# tcpdump -i eth0 -n  -p -s 0 "port 445 or port 139"

I can create dumps if someone thinks that will help.

I'm looking for anything to try that would help figure out what the
problem is.

Any ideas? really anything?

Thanks,
Terre