[Samba] Losing Permissions of Files

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Jun 18 07:49:58 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 12:37 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-06-12 at 16:37 -0700, bogdan_bartos wrote:
> > Are these directives working for samba 4??? This looks like samba 3 to me. We
> > need a fix for samba 4...
>
> Samba 4.0 uses largely the same parameter set as Samba 3.x, because it
> really is just the next version of Samba as far as the file server is
> concerned.
>
> The main distinction in the case of the AD DC is that we set some
> defaults differently in that mode.  That is, we set:
>
> 	map archive = No
> 	map readonly = no
> 	store dos attributes = Yes
> 	vfs objects = dfs_samba4, acl_xattr
>
> And these are defaults in all modes:
>         map system = no
>         map hidden = no
>
> I hope this helps clarify things.

I wonder if the issue is that the file system being used by the OP does
not have extended attributes enabled at mount time. If they don't then
Samba of whatever version is not able to store the DOS attributes in
files extended attributes and Office 2007/2010 will still get confused
and do the wrong thing.

Remember ext3 and ext4 file systems have to be explicitly mounted with
extended attributes enabled, where as XFS always has them enabled.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.