[Samba] Windows 7 access to Samba server: Strange performance/delay problems while opening share

Ralf lists.samba.org at rb.7bg.de
Fri Jun 14 05:24:26 MDT 2013

Hello list!

I have strange performance issue with an single Windows 7 client in a
simple network setup with one samba server, and various windows clients
(Win XP, Windows 7).

All clients can open shares with explorer, without any delay (the share
contents are listed directly).
But one client, a lenovo Windows 7 Laptop has strange problems opening
these same shares. The time from opening a share, until the share is
listed, varies betwenn (seldom) direct response, and in most cases
delays between 3 and 20 seconds, in seldom extrem cases 1-2 minutes.

Because this is the only Windows 7 client with this kind of problems, i
reinstalled the machine from scratch (with the lenovo version of windows
7 from the hidden partition), hoping this problem was caused by any kind
of windows weiredness (the windows 7 installation was one or two years old).

The only change was, there were no more delays in listing shares, longer
than 20 seconds, so the core problem still exists.

What possibilities do I have, to solve this problem?

My next step was, to capture the network traffic this client does, while
opening an specific share. I captured also the traffic caused by two
other windows 7 clients, which do not have any delay issues while
opening the same share. My knowledge about samba network packages is far
to low, to be able to find the problem.

In my desparation now, I joined this list, hoping there is anybody, who
can give me a hint to the right direction, to solve this problem.

Thanks,
Ralf