[Samba] Samba 4 Additional DC existing domain

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Tue Jun 11 14:19:03 MDT 2013

Hello Dino,

Am 11.06.2013 22:04, schrieb Dino Edwards:
> I believe I answered it albeit indirectly. One of the first steps of
 > joining a domain as a DC was to run the kinit command and upon success
 > proceed with joining the domain. Since I wasn't getting any output from
 > running that command, I stopped and didn't go any further with joining
 > the domain because I thought there was something wrong.

I changed the HowTo a bit, to make it more clear, that the output shown
is from "klist" and not "kinit".

> When I pointed one of the windows machines to use the samba 4 DC
 > as its DNS server, I was able to resolve hosts in the mydomain.local
 > domain. However, I wasn't able to resolve hosts outside my domain.
 > A Windows DNS server is able to do that.

You have to add
dns forwarder = 8.8.8.8
to your smb.conf and restart Samba. Adapt 8.8.8.8 to whatever you host
is, to which you want to forward queries to, your Samba isn't
authoritative for.

> I'm also assuming that I should use 127.0.0.1 or the IP of the samba 4
 > DC as the DNS server of the samba 4 DC in /etc/network/interfaces file
 > vs. pointing to the Windows DC. Is that a correct assumption?

You can use the IP of any host, that is able to resolve your AD DNS
domain(s).

> And finally, rebooting the server does not automatically start samba.
 > I have to start it manually. Do I need to create a script in
 > /etc/init.d/ and if that's the case, is there a template for
> that somewhere?

Yes, you need something that start the service if you want Samba to come
up on reboots. See
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/InitScript

Regards,
Marc